PDA

View Full Version : Official Ghostbusters Thread

xenos
06-18-2009, 06:58 PM
http://screenburnfest.com/2008/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/ghostbusters-music-video.gif

Surprised no one made a thread about this yet :drool:

I'm a few hours in the game now and loving it so far.

I still can't get over how much fun I have playing this game. The graphics are actually really impressive. Nice sharp textures, great shader effects, accurate character models, insane particle effects, and a mostly smooth frame rate on top of it all. Scorching up a room with your proton pack, debris flying everywhere, items burning, walls scarred with marks, and complete mayhem everywhere is just like you expect it to be. The lip syncing isn't always spot on, the frame rate slows down a tad from time to time, and I guess there is some tearing though I've never experienced it in person.(maybe it's only in 1080p as I'm playing in 720p?). Overall, the presentation does an outstanding job at creating an atmospheric, and at times, moody environment.

The sound and score are equally as impressive. All of the original actors replay their roles in this game and they do a great job at playing out the wonderful (so far) script providing a solid plot and some funny moments. You as the player joins the crew as a new recruit cleverly assigned the position as the teams test dummy for all new equipment. The soundtrack seems to be ripped right from both movies with maybe some slight variations to spruce things up. It's very well done as there are moments of complete silence creeping through the halls and other moments where you are blazing up the screen to some great music perfectly choreographed with the scenes on display.

Thankfully the gameplay is just as solid as the game's overall presentation. Played from the over the shoulder perspective, the game does a great job at communicating your character's status, proton pack heat, and more without cluttering up the screen. Hitting the Y button will bring up your PKE meter and ecto-goggles. In this view you can look for [secret] cursed artifacts, search out spirits hiding in objects, and scan ghosts and other aberrations to gather information. This mode does a great job taking advantage of the graphics and audio as it has provided some solid creepy moments and maybe even some scares for the more faint of heart. Once you do find a pesky poltergeist, capturing him is insanely fun. The spirits cling to this world through their PKE energy, blasting them with your proton pack cuts down their energy and thus their hold on this world. In their weakened state or when most of their PKE energy is gone, you can then grab them in your proton stream. At this point, you will roll out your trap and try to wrestle the ghost over said trap to capture it. It's fun to watch the ghost try to escape your hold on them and you even have the option to slam them in the walls or ground to daze them a bit, making it easier to trap them. It doesn't take long for you to earn new modes of fire for your proton pack including a shot-gun like proton spread and a slime gun. On top of earning new weapons variants, you also have the option to upgrade any weapon or trap with money earned on jobs. The gameplay is tight and well played, haven't really run into anything that has been game killer so far.

Overall it should be clear that this game is a blast for the fans and should even be a great play for those that are not. Even though I haven't finished the game, I've already encountered PLENTY of fanfare comments or references to the original two movies. I'll see if my impression of the game changes once I beat the game and play the multiplayer a bit, but so far I feel like I've already got my $60's worth.

Edit:

Just found this video on Youtube of Ghostbusters on the NES.

YouTube - Unscripted Game Reviews: Ghostbusters (NES) Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gedzqElyRyQ)

I remember playing this game to death and loving every second of it. The game was really horrible, but back then I really didn't care. Man it's amazing how much games have evolved in our life time so far.

cmptrnrd16
06-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Re: Official Ghostbusters Thread

Also... YouTube - SWINE FLU MUSIC VIDEO: SWINE BUSTERS: Ghostbusters spoof (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YKl_wg3eVI)

Hotapplepie
06-19-2009, 07:43 PM

She looks best when she has her mask on.

chareece
06-19-2009, 09:15 PM

i've heard decent things about this game, but i wasnt really to sure about a game based on movie, even if has a totally new story.

Revan654
06-19-2009, 09:28 PM

^ I have yet to play it. What I been told game is allot of fun. Plus I got the game for 40 dollars. Got to love Best Buy.

xenos
06-22-2009, 11:55 AM

I beat the game a couple days ago. Took me around 8 hours or so, but the length seemed good for the game still.

Loved the whole game outside of the final level. For the most part it wasn't that bad but there were a few encounters where they just threw too many ghosts and gouls your way and your AI partners just couldn't keep up. Because of this, you end up playing medic far too often for some of these encounters. Campaign co-op would have gone a long way to fix these balancing issues.

Outside of some tweak/balancing issues with the last level, the game was great, I'll play through it a few more times for sure. I also can't wait to try out the online jobs mode, should be a fun co-op experience.