PDA

View Full Version : Official Far Cry 2 Thread

Fallout
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
This game is pretty awesome. I think GA would be in heaven if he played this. He is the FPS crazy right. Ubi didn't fail me on this one. I can liken this to Oblivion with guns. Light RPG features like gun and ammo upgrades. Plenty to see and due. I recommend at least a rental for anyone who likes FPS. Unlimitted replay and a rebust map maker utility. I'll give more impressions later if any interest or feel free to ask questions.Peace.

xenos
10-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Re: Official Far Cry 2 Thread

I agree, the game is a much needed change of pace for a FPS.

The graphics exceed what was once thought possible on consoles a couple years ago. Huge vistas, minimal pop-up, detailed shadows, day/night cycle, almost rock solid frame rate, great texture work, solid though sometimes blonde AI, and all of this is rendered with no load times when traversing the terrain. The game loads when you die, save, and between missions, but I've driven from one end of the map to the other without any load interruptions to speak of, a huge technical accomplishment. To have a world that is as detailed, if not more, than CoD4 in a world bigger than Oblivion with no loading drops my jaw every time I throw the game in.

The only issues I can find with the visuals would be some weird LOD system that is only noticeable if really look for it, and the game is way too dark during night time, but that may just be my monitor.

So far the lack of any quick travel hasn't bothered me in the least since the trip to my destination is usually as exciting as the mission itself. Lately in the game, I've been taking missions from the arms dealers, trying to unlock all of the weapons. Nothing like waiting in some tall grass next to a dirt road just to snipe the driver of the a truck driving my direction a mile away, or parking a jeep in the middle of the road between some trees, setting the jeep on fire and watching a wall of flames build up forcing the truck driver to veer off the road crashing into a burning tree or huge rock.

Another awesome moment occurred when one of my "friends" suggested an alternative way to handle a mission that I was just assigned. Not only did the mission change from agreeing to this suggestion, but it also opened up an additional objective to accomplish with my friend. Really impressed by how just one simple mission could be approached and changed.

One annoyance I have with the game is the fact that these enemies are bullet sponges unless you hit them in the head. You get used to it, but it shouldn't take half a clip sometimes to kill a guy. Also, it doesn't matter if the soldiers have a sniper rifle or an assault rifle, they are deadly accurate, even at long distances.

This is one of the few games that you truly have options to approach any given situation how you see fit and execute it in some crazy ways. During one encounter, I was pinned down by a soldier wielding a rocket launcher. While I was running between rocks, trees, houses, and other types of cover to get a better shot, he ended up shooting a tree which caught on fire. A burning branch fell off of this burning tree and started the dry tall grass ablaze, spreading fast in a line. Well lucky for me, and unlucky for the soldier, he trapped himself between the oncoming flames and the wall of a cliff, which I just stood by and watched him burn.

I've experienced so much and I haven't even touched the map creator yet. I did take a quick peak at the list of player-made maps and there are already dozens just waiting to be downloaded. Awesome game and a shoe in for any FPS fan looking for something new.

Fallout
10-27-2008, 02:16 PM

Wow Xenos. I feel you completely on the above. Did you do the manual upgrades for the guns but then again I mainly use the Sniper rifle. So it's usually one hit one kill. The game is flatly brilliant. graphics are gorgeous and the freedom to the missions how you see fit is such a plus.

Some say the story is weak but you kinda make your own story. I had a mission to destroy some gear and a buddy wanted to take another route. To do so I had to do some convincing of a certain person. I decided they needed to be termed after they made the call. One time I sniped a driver of a gun jeep and he crashed into explosive barrel that blew up that then caused a shed to explode and causing the ammo inside to ignite and start firing. All of that happened at night. It looked so beautiful.

Fallout
12-12-2008, 04:33 PM

I really look forward to playing this again.

chareece
02-09-2009, 11:59 AM

<div class="bbcode_quote">
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Far Cry 2's community developer Atmon has confirmed that the dev team is currently working on a new title update for the game that will add a hardcore mode. This new mode will provide a more realistic experience when playing Far Cry 2 competitive multiplayer, thanks to a new damage model that increases damage for all weapons.

The developer also confirmed that for the next title update, all weapons will be rebalanced on both normal mode and on the new hardcore mode. Additionally, enemy names will disappear after the spawning invincibility period is over. The update will also incorporate two new options. One that will allow you to tweak spawning time (but not spawning rate) and a new search option will be available in multiplayer to allow you to find matches on hardcore mode.</div>
</div>

linky (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/18815/Ubisoft-Confirms-Hardcore-Mode-for-Far-Cry-2-Multiplayer/)

Fallout
07-09-2009, 03:02 PM

Ok. Heard there was new patch. What does it fix single player side? Xenos maybe you know. Thanks