PDA

View Full Version : Official Phantasy Star Universe Thread

surrealist
09-16-2005, 10:32 PM
IGN: Phantasy Star Online came out on GameCube, Xbox and PC. Why have you

decided to bring Universe to the PS2 instead of the GameCube or Xbox?

Miyoshi: At the time of PSO, when considering whether to develop for the PS2

or GameCube, we felt that we could release something of higher quality on

the GameCube, and so we made GameCube the main platform. And then, we ported

the GameCube version to the Xbox. However, for PSU, we felt that we could

reach a wider audience by moving over to the PS2 and the PC.

IGN: PS2 doesn't have a network program in place like Xbox Live. Has this

caused any problems?

Miyoshi: Xbox has stronger online capabilities for sure -- there's no

question about that. It might be okay to launch PSU on Xbox for the US

market, but not for the Japanese market. Knowing what Final Fantasy XI has

done in Japan with Online gameplay, I feel that the user base is there, so I

feel strongly that PSU will appeal to the PS2 audience. In addition, PSU

offers a tremendous amount of Offline content. Even with PSO, a lot of

people played mostly Offline mode. I would say something like 20% or so

played Online. However, for PSU we put a lot of emphasis on Offline to make

this a standalone Offline RPG -- that's the core of the game. In addition to

that, we added the Online features.

IGN: So is there an Xbox version under consideration?

Miyoshi: There's no plan yet. Although if we did it, it would be on Xbox 360

and not Xbox.

IGN: [rubs hands together in anticipation...]

Miyoshi: There are a tremendous number of Xbox users in America, so we would

definitely like to do it, although nothing is decided yet.
<hr class="bbcode_rule" />

Any Phantasy Star fans here?

X Frog
09-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Awesome news! I love Phantasy Star Online &amp; Phantasy Star 1-4! I watched the trailers for this PS2 game this morning and was quite envious that it was not scheduled for Xbox.

I'd waaaaaaaay rather have this game than FFXI as it has offline play like Phantasy Star Online.

Good find Surreal!

:)

delilahHD
09-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Of course, I certainly hope this is true!

Raz
09-17-2005, 01:42 PM
PSO is still the most playable online game, however unlikely that is. It even beats WoW in so many ways... so yeah, call me a PS fan why don't you. :)

I haven't played the other "real" PS games that much actually... but I do like the world and the setting. Yeah they should definitely release PSU for 360 in US, and of course in EU. And Japan too.

chareece
09-17-2005, 08:14 PM
Phantasy Star was like one of the first games i played on my Dreamcast way back when. I have such fond memories of that dragon.

this is good news. i hope to see this game in my 360 sometime in the near future.

Raz
09-19-2005, 06:07 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote">
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">chareece wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Phantasy Star was like one of the first games i played on my Dreamcast way back when. I have such fond memories of that dragon.

this is good news. i hope to see this game in my 360 sometime in the near future.</div>
</div>

Same here, first online game I ever played. And it rocked! :bang:

Morder
09-20-2005, 10:14 AM
I've never played one, but they look interesting enough to get one for the 360.

wonder boy
09-20-2005, 09:04 PM
iv given up on a real phantasy star along time ago :( , just like iv given up on shining force.

DylanH
09-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Is this one a card game as well?

Raz
09-21-2005, 01:50 AM
PSU is both single player and online... online seems to be like PSO, only better. ;)

Watch some videos (http://media.pc.ign.com/media/729/729460/vids_1.html) :bang:

Innumerable stars

Won't tell us where to go

It's a long long run

To the Place in the sun

With hopes and dreams

Our ship will cross the sea

To the whole new world

Shining like a Pearl

The whole new world

X Frog
04-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Sega announces Phantasy Star Universe for X360!!!

Hell Yes!!!

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/4/19-40

Sega's addictive take on the MMORPG genre is finally made official for the Xbox 360. The game was previously just announced for the PlayStation 2 and PC, but it was widely expected that it would hit the Xbox 360 as well.

The official announcement is below, stay tuned for the first screens!

SEGA of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced that Phantasy Star Universe will be available on the Xbox 360. Scheduled for release in Fall 2006, the highly-anticipated role playing game (RPG) will release on multiple platforms including the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and PC. Phantasy Star Universe offers two complete RPG experiences – a single-player action adventure spanning multiple planets, and a robust online multiplayer component that will support Xbox Live.

Since its humble beginnings in 1988, Phantasy Star has revolutionized the RPG genre by creating new standards through innovative gameplay and online capability. Phantasy Star Universe offers a compelling story, both offline and online, that rebuilds the foundation of role-playing games with stunning cut scenes, sharply drawn personalities, and a cohesive narrative. This game revitalizes the Phantasy Star brand heritage while staying true to its roots.

"The reinvigoration of this beloved franchise on the Xbox 360 signifies another step for SEGA towards next-gen leadership," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Entertainment Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "Phantasy Star has a rich history, and now with Phantasy Star Universe in support of the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, gamers can enjoy a fantasy role-playing experience of unprecedented depth both online with their friends, and offline in the robust single-player game."

Developed by SEGA Studios, Phantasy Star Universe offers long-time fans the single-player experience they have been clamoring for. The solo adventure features more than 40 hours of gameplay, an emotionally engaging story, stunning cut scenes, and a strong cast of characters with very distinctive personalities. The title's hero is Ethan Waber, a 17-year old cadet who begins his epic journey by first rescuing his sister at the GUARDIANS, a colony under siege by mysterious life forms known as THE SEED.

In Online Mode, players are given the opportunity to create their own characters from a range of races, as they explore all three planets in the Gurhal system. Fans can travel with their friends as a squad of six adventurers, enter urban sprawls teeming with hundreds of other players, and build their avatars into powerful warriors.

Features:

* Epic Story: Phantasy Star Universe offers a suspenseful single player adventure that fans have been clamoring for.

* Phantasy Star Brand Heritage: Since 1988, the franchise has evolved, and produced seven series to date – building itself as one of the most well established RPG franchises.

* Real-time battles where players choose their own strategies: Choose from over 200 weapon variations in over 20 weapon categories for melee, technique, or ranged-type combat. Players can also select numerous Photon Arts to defeat enemies.

* World Class Score: Soundtrack produced by premier orchestras and vocals from Poland, Hollywood, and New York.

* Online Gameplay: Offering the Best of Both Worlds

o Multiplayer: Create a squad of up to six players to explore the universe and conquer quests.

o Endless gameplay: In addition to over 40 hours of offline gameplay, gamers can spend endless hours online customizing characters, searching for rare items, leveling up, and joining friends for exhilarating new quests.

* Variety in transportation: Player-controlled vehicles offer a new type of gameplay for the Phantasy Star franchise.

* Character Customization: Go beyond standard customization for your character with precise measurements, an endless color palette, and outlandish outfits.

* Massive enemies: Over 20 unique enemy species, totaling over 200 enemy variations.

-- Jim Cordeira

Esko
04-19-2006, 10:23 AM
as long as they dropped the card game thing they tried I'll get it...i played the hell out of Ep I &amp; II on the Xbox...

X Frog
04-19-2006, 10:32 AM
My 2 hopes for this game are...

1. Sega sticks with $8.00/mo for the charge and allows us to play both PSO &amp; PSU for this.

2. Microsoft makes PSO backwards compatible really quick. I freakin' love that game and have only played it offline(100 hours), and online PC(1 free week).

surrealist
04-19-2006, 10:36 AM
The cross platform play should be sweet!

at least.. i'm hoping PC, PS2 and X360 can play together

delilahHD
04-19-2006, 11:32 AM
I thought So! :bang:

X Frog
04-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Here is a great PSU site...

http://www.pso-world.com/index.php

Raz
04-19-2006, 04:16 PM
I've been playing PSO since it first came out on the Dreamcast and I still say it's the best damn online game ever made... it's simple, but the way it hooks you is out of this world. The design of the game is pure brilliance.

Now, putting PSO into the power 2... with a real offline game... damn! :bang:

So, the rumors were true after all. :eek:

delilahHD
04-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I guess I'll have to retire PSO Ep. 1 and 2 for Xbox pretty soon...

Man...I really wish we were still in the dreamcast days, when every single thing I played made me gasp and smile. Even the worst games back then were golden for some reason...

Ricker
04-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Awesome news...let's hope everyone can play together like it's happening now with FFXI...PSO on DC,especially the first few hack/dupe/NOL free months where so great,i hope Universe catches that feeling and more.

Raz
04-21-2006, 05:05 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Ricker wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Awesome news...let's hope everyone can play together like it's happening now with FFXI...PSO on DC,especially the first few hack/dupe/NOL free months where so great,i hope Universe catches that feeling and more.</div>
</div>

I never got NUL:ed, thank god. :)

Considering that all the data is now supposed to be saved in Sega servers and it's through XBL, I think we won't see too much of that sh*t. There wasn't too much of that in the XB PSO version either, at least for me.

I just hope they optimize that damn voice communication... that was the biggest pain in the XB version.

delilahHD
04-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I really hope they give us PSO with PSU as a bonus...I doubt it though.

X Frog
04-21-2006, 01:02 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Julius Rage wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I really hope they give us PSO with PSU as a bonus...I doubt it though.</div>
</div>
That would be nice. Especially if they gave us the hi-res PSO Blue Burst from PC with Xbox controls. And let us play both with one hunter's license.

surrealist
09-05-2006, 03:28 PM
No monthly Phantasy star fees

Taken from the PC thread...

http://orangeloungeradio.com/phpnuke/modules.php?name=News&amp;file=article&amp;sid=621

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">"On tonight's edition of Orange Lounge Radio, (click here for our podcast feed, look for episode 198 A) our faithful co-host LOKI brought us some juicy tidbits from a recent sales meeting that he attended which involved high-up sales associates from various companies.

As everything reported anywhere on the internet, take it with a grain of salt, but a lot of it sounds very legit, and came from the mouths of sales associates from these companies, so we pass it on to you on the internet to get you pumped up for this exciting holiday season!"

Sega

* No charge for online aspect of PSU on XBOX 360. There will be a monthly fee for PS2 and PC users.

* Sonic: Secret Of The Rings for Wii coming Mar. ’07 (not at launch)

* No Full Auto 2 for the XBOX 360 at all. The first one did not sell well so they will not be making a sequel for the XBOX 360.</div>
</div>
If true, that's simply awesome!

Raz
09-05-2006, 03:57 PM
That is friggin' cool. Now no-one has any right to complain. :) If this is the case, then all it comes down to is server "divisions"... can EU, JP and US play altogether.

Ricker
09-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Good news indeed and it makes sense since the 360 servers will be seperate from the PS2/PC servers... I still know a lot of folks from the PSO days though on different forums and most of them will go PC or PS2 so I might have to get the PC version anyway...

Raz
09-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Oh, I wonder if they went with Gold account instead of Silver, because of this.

X Frog
09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Raz wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Oh, I wonder if they went with Gold account instead of Silver, because of this.</div>
</div>
If true, you can 100% bet that this is a game you need Gold for. This will drive up sales for Gold from cheapskates who would normally never purchase it. Besides, this is not an MMO anyway. You party with 6 people. It's more like Diablo or Guild Wars.

Even if there is a fee, I fully intend to play!

wonder boy
09-05-2006, 11:55 PM
its not about being a cheapskate, its about not being ripped off for a 6 player diablo clone

Raz
09-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Diablo clone? That's pretty harsh, me thinks. Diablo has nothing on PSO or PSU, they are in a completely different league if you ask me.

Anyway, I've always thought that PSO was worth the money I paid for it. If it is for Gold then I'll have to get it...

Now that I think about it there may be some consequences if this is true. Especially if Silver account is enough. It could mean lack of updates or support, which I don't like. I saw enough of that on PSOX.

xenos
09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
i think its funny when people act like anyone is forcing them to pay anything when it comes to the 360.

it would seem that most dont realize that you can play (and pay) all the MMOs you would like on the Silver account but people still bitch about paying for the Gold account and whatever MMO. while i understand that this situation is not the most ideal, it still all just comes down to the customer's decision.

i have always been more then fine with whatever it costs to play on LIVE, i have been gaming online since i could first connect on my 14.4 modem and gaming on LIVE is the smoothest, gamer friendly online service i have ever experienced. there is a good reason why so many more games are online on the xbox as apposed to the ps2 and it only benefits the gamers. IMHO, i believe that LIVE is worth the $50 a year and more.

wonder boy
09-06-2006, 12:34 PM
since when does massivly multiplayer mean 6 players?

Raz
09-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Well, true if you have something to spend that $50 bugs on. For me, PSU would be it one and only Live game for the 360 that I'm willing to spend money on. So far, of course. This isn't a question about it costing too much, it's about getting something back for your money.

PSO was basically the only game I ever enoyjed playing Live, excluding the times when it first began in my territory back in 2003, well unofficially at that point. It was fun back then... Wolfenstein, Midtown Madness, etc. Then when it got released for real it all went straight to hell (if I overestimate a little. :) ).

delilahHD
09-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Xbox Live is great for less than $5 a month... I don't understand the complaints sometimes, as well... lol .. oh well, they are missing out

Raz
09-07-2006, 02:14 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">dblaze wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Xbox Live is great for less than $5 a month... I don't understand the complaints sometimes, as well... lol .. oh well, they are missing out</div>
</div>

Yeah, it's cheap, but personally I'm not gonna pay anything from something I'm not gonna use and so far I can't really say there's been a reason to spend that extra money.

delilahHD
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Yeah, it's cheap, but personally I'm not gonna pay anything from something I'm not gonna use and so far I can't really say there's been a reason to spend that extra money.</div>
</div>
lol, ok...

X Frog
09-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Only six weeks til this game ships!!!

:bang:

10/24/2006

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/200176brp.jpg

X Frog
09-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Trailer...

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/3274/Phantasy-Star-Universe-Trailer/

Screenies...

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1445/1146770566.jpg

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1445/1146767928.jpg

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1445/1146768904.jpg

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1445/1146767357.jpg

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1445/1146770190.jpg

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1445/1146767925.jpg

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1445/1146767927.jpg

Ikaruss
09-10-2006, 05:34 PM
my friend is a game tester at a company i really shouldn't name, but he got a hold of the Japanese import demo of PSU. The online wasn't working for us, but the singleplayer was nonetheless awesome.

The combat system is sooooo koooL!. You can dual wield any two weapons imaginable and i was wielding a gun and a sword at the same time, so you could pull of this combo where you hit a bad guy twice with a sword and then launch them into the air and if u time it right u can hit the second attack button to shoot his ass in the air before he hits the ground. SO KOOL!

The best thing to me was that the combat system is not point and click. The enemy's AI will attempt to dodge your attack and you can go into first person view mode to use your guns. Anyways.........it was awesome

Never cared much for it until i tried it myself

surrealist
09-10-2006, 05:53 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">X Frog wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Only six weeks til this game ships!!!

</div>
</div>
does this count us..or just japan??

X Frog
09-10-2006, 09:48 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">surrealist wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">does this count us..or just japan??</div>
</div>
USA also!!! This is why Team Xbox had a preview for it last week. They said it ran at 60fps(PS2 version ran at 30fps) with some major framerate drops. Remember, it has a 40hr single-player campaign. I think this will be my most played live game after Bomberman.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

surrealist
09-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Phantasy Star Universe Online Play, $10 for Xbox 360 (http://www.planetxbox360.com/index.php/articledetails/show/462)
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Contrary to the rumors, Sega's Massively Multiplayer RPG which is due out this year, will cost users a ten spot every month to play online. Orange Lounge Radio reported a while back that the MMORPG would be free for Xbox Live Gold members, and has corrected their statement after an email from Sega.</div>
</div>
BUMMER!!

Raz
09-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that's a bummer indeed. Especially for those who have the Gold account also. Now, the question becomes, how about updates... with PSOX there really wasn't any maintenance. Very few quests, not much updates, etc. The voice com lag never got fixed. If Sonic Team and MS do update the game then it's worth its money otherwise not.

chareece
09-19-2006, 05:54 PM
i wouldn't mind paying the extra 10 if like Raz said they keep it updated and such. cause i'm sure i've paid more then that ownloading items for Oblivion.

X Frog
10-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Phantasy Star is only 3 weeks away and look at the awesome bonus you get for pre-ordering...

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B200176A

I love good RPG soundtracks. The soundtrack to PSO was groovy!

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/b200176ab.jpg

X Frog
10-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Week of Phantasy Star Universe coverage...

http://archive.gamespy.com/landing/phantasystaruniverse/

Raz
10-03-2006, 01:19 AM
Good stuff and promising too. I really want to try this game out, eventhough the online component is fairly "PSO", which isn't exactly new. :)

delilahHD
10-04-2006, 05:39 PM
I just may pay premium if the single player is good

haloalldaylo
10-04-2006, 08:29 PM
wow looks great!

haloalldaylo
10-04-2006, 08:30 PM
does it have a offline mode or do you have to pay from the get go?

X Frog
10-04-2006, 10:11 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">haloalldaylo wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">does it have a offline mode or do you have to pay from the get go?</div>
</div>
Yes, it has a 40hr single-player campaign. You get one free month of online play. After that it is $10/mo if you want to keep playing online.

Raz
10-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Fan made PSU podcast, episode 1 (http://showfile.file.sc/9985/dD38xOIR/psu%20podcast%2010:03:06.htm). I recommend.

Ricker
10-05-2006, 07:09 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Fan made PSU podcast, episode 1 (http://showfile.file.sc/9985/dD38xOIR/psu%20podcast%2010:03:06.htm). I recommend.</div>
</div>
Link not working and right click and save doesn't show a MP3 file... :confused:

Raz
10-05-2006, 07:27 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Link not working and right click and save doesn't show a MP3 file... :confused:</div>
</div>

Hmph. Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.de/files/35576078/psu_podcast_10_03_06.zip.html)

Forgot the source... Thread @ PSO-World (http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=120450&amp;forum=20&amp;24)

Ricker
10-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Got it,thanks,i'll check it out later. :)

Hey Raz i'm checking your small Gamertag thing scrolling up there in your post,could you P.M. me with how to get that stuff please?

X Frog
10-08-2006, 12:07 AM
WOW!!! This game has one more mode nobody mentioned...Extra Mode. This is unlocked as you play the single-player story mode. It allows you to create custom characters and party with characters and items that you found in single-player mode in a PSO like offline mode where you can infinitely adventure and play offline. This game officially pwns PSO now.

http://phantasystaruniverse.com/game_extra.php

wonder boy
10-08-2006, 12:34 AM
no it doesnt and never will until it has an offline multiplayer mode like the game cube version or free online play like the dreamcast version.

X Frog
10-08-2006, 08:36 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">wonder boy wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">no it doesnt and never will until it has an offline multiplayer mode like the game cube version or free online play like the dreamcast version.</div>
</div>
The splitscreen multiplayer mode of the Xbox &amp; Gamecube absolutely sucked.

Every time somebody dies you both get pushed back to the city.

Totally worthless.

You could not party with NPCs in PSO single-player either. PSU is looking to be much better than PSO.

How can you bitch about this Extra Mode in PSU? Not only that, as a real Phantasy Star "phan" how can you not think this game is closer to the old-school games? It even has vehicles like the old games and a real single-player game.

Are you even interested in this game at all wonderboy? Which were your fave Phantasy Star games? I like PSII(Genesis) and PSO the best. The generations gameplay of III was cool. The 1st person dungeons of I were also tight. IV was really solid. I have more respect for Phantasy Star than Final Fantasy.

Raz
10-08-2006, 10:13 AM
From what I know about PSU and the differences (http://www.psupedia.org/index.php?title=Differences) between PSO and PSU, PSU seems to be a much much better experience overall. Both online and off.

And I have to agree with XFrog. Wonderboy, you're comment does seem rather odd when you compare it to the opinions of other PSO fans.

wonder boy
10-08-2006, 12:11 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">The splitscreen multiplayer mode of the Xbox &amp; Gamecube absolutely sucked.

Every time somebody dies you both get pushed back to the city.

Totally worthless.

You could not party with NPCs in PSO single-player either. PSU is looking to be much better than PSO.

How can you bitch about this Extra Mode in PSU? Not only that, as a real Phantasy Star "phan" how can you not think this game is closer to the old-school games? It even has vehicles like the old games and a real single-player game.

Are you even interested in this game at all wonderboy? Which were your fave Phantasy Star games? I like PSII(Genesis) and PSO the best. The generations gameplay of III was cool. The 1st person dungeons of I were also tight. IV was really solid. I have more respect for Phantasy Star than Final Fantasy.</div>
</div>

i never even mentioned extra mode before, so how can you say i am bitching about it or are you just making this shit up as you go?

i already knew of extra mode, and yes its good to finaly have npc's follow you around, but it would have been nice if you didnt have to unlock this, and if they werent dumb as hell. i wonder though if you can give them some equipment like a merc in diablo 2.

its hard to rank pso with the orginal phantasy star games, since one is similar to dragon quest and final fantasy, and the other plays like diablo, but my order of favorites for the orginals are

phantasy star 4

phantasy star 2

phantasy star 1

phantasy star 3

how is my comment odd? PSU for the 360 could have a lan mode, should sega want to do it, or do a split screen mode with a better camera even if the split screen mode is gimped in some way.

also you do not get pushed to the city when someone dies in split screen, you get a red screen that says if you want to be sent to the nurse or not, at this point i would always revive my buddy with my force, and my buddy would always carry 10 of the revive items to do the same for me.

isnt teamwork great?

X Frog
10-08-2006, 12:19 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">also you do not get pushed to the city when someone dies in split screen, you get a red screen that says if you want to be sent to the nurse or not, at this point i would always revive my buddy with my force, and my buddy would always carry 10 of the revive items to do the same for me.

isnt teamwork great?</div>
</div>
In that case I will actually play PSO splitscreen with my friends. I still have the gamecube version. We tried it a few times and got pissed off on both Xbox &amp; cube versions and just decided to solo instead.

I agree these games should have a LAN/syslink mode. PSO on Xbox would have been the greatest game on the system if it had syslink.

Raz
10-08-2006, 12:30 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">how is my comment odd? PSU for the 360 could have a lan mode, should sega want to do it, or do a split screen mode with a better camera even if the split screen mode is gimped in some way.</div>
</div>

I've never heard any of my friends that have played PSO since the DC days even remotely suggest that PSU could not be better. :) But your comment was driven by the offline multiplayer so it's a little different, but I don't see how the game can be rated because of a feature that isn't the focus of the game. Although, I'm personally unable to understand how reviewers can take points away because of design choices.

X Frog
10-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Free Open Beta starting Wednesday!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/737/737962p1.html

Phantasy Star Universe Pricing Revealed

How much is the monthly fee?

by Erik Brudvig

October 9, 2006 - SEGA finally sent out word on their pricing for the upcoming online RPG Phantasy Star Universe for the US. The Guardians license, which is what you'll need to take the game into the expansive and persistent online world, will be available for purchase on October 24, 2006 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, and PC online users for $9.99. Those playing on the PlayStation 2 and PC can also purchase a six month license for $49.99 to save some money.

Although the game will cost 10 dollars more on Xbox 360 with an MSRP of $59.99 and there won't be any initial options for purchasing an extended online license, all is not gloom and doom in 360 land. That is because this Wednesday, October 11 and continuing Thursday, October 12, the Phantasy Star Universe multiplayer open beta will be available as a free download. The free open beta will run for a week and conclude on October 18, 2006. It will be open to all Xbox 360 owners with an Xbox Live Gold account.

Phantasy Star Universe will ship on October 24, 2006 for PlayStation 2, PC and Xbox 360 and is rated "T" for Teen by the ESRB.

wonder boy
10-09-2006, 05:15 PM
too bad surrealist is going to be missing out

Raz
10-10-2006, 02:19 AM
Although the game will cost 10 dollars more on Xbox 360 with an MSRP of $59.99

People pulling stuff out of their ass again... :) It doesn't cost 10 dollars more. Well, for some it does.

Official FAQ (http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/support_faq.php)

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">too bad surrealist is going to be missing out</div>
</div>

And me. Damn.

Godly-Atheist
10-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Oh, so this game does have a monthly fee after all.

Here's a list (http://www.onrpg.com/games_categories/free.html) of free mmo games that I found by typing in "Free Korean Mmorpgs" in the google search bar. I based the search on Korea because that's my "racist" view of all mmorpg gamers. Not that I have anything against Koreans, it's just that, well... I got nothing. :|

Anyways, my point was that there is roughly about 72 games right there, and that should be enough to halt all planning or developing of mmorpgs for the next 15 years. Knowing that, why would anyone pay for a new one?

Raz
10-10-2006, 03:06 AM
Because it's better than all the others but together? Well, maybe not :) but it is great. And it's not really an MMORPG (Well, in some ways it is and some ways it isn't). I've played WoW and couple of others and PSO was still a lot better. After seeing PSU in play, I can say this still applies.

WoW was huge, had a lot of good stuff, but really it was pretty boring, even if you played with a friend. Some say that it was an online multiplayer for single players. And this applies to a lot of MMOs, but from my experience it doesn't apply to PS(O/U). I don't really know why, but the overall experience when it comes to other players is completely different.

From a personal standpoint, maybe this is the key why I couldn't play the others more than couple of months, PS(O/U) has a battle system that's worth while. Most MMO's have that clickety-click mouse interface which is the worst idea ever.

And the game costing money... did anyone actually think that wasn't going to happen?

Godly-Atheist
10-10-2006, 03:47 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">And the game costing money... did anyone actually think that wasn't going to happen?</div>
</div>

I thought I heard something about it being free? Then again, it could have just been my imagination implementing justice where need be.

Raz
10-10-2006, 03:53 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Godly-Atheist wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I thought I heard something about it being free? Then again, it could have just been my imagination implementing justice where need be.</div>
</div>

Yeah, well, there were rumors like that. There isn't much chance for that to happen though. In this case I'm very "glass half empty" kind of guy.

It would be cool to have an online game of this type that was free, but considering the cost of maintaining something like this, I think asking money for it is justified. Whether $10 is justified I'm not sure. :)

Godly-Atheist
10-10-2006, 04:42 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">It would be cool to have an online game of this type that was free, but considering the cost of maintaining something like this, I think asking money for it is justified. Whether $10 is justified I'm not sure. :)</div>
</div>

Well it all depends on what you're actually paying for. I'm going to refer to a quote from your earlier post to clarify things a bit, so I don't make a fool of myself by assuming beforehand.

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">And it's not really an MMORPG (Well, in some ways it is and some ways it isn't).</div>
</div>

I'm not quite sure as to what you meant by that. Are we looking at something like what Blizzard did with the Diablo? Or is this an mmorpg with a few quirks? I've played PSO for the Dreamcast, and from what I can remember, you could party up with about 6-8 people and go out to different zones or something, each to support a different level range. Kind of like FF11, I think. I, myself, don't think that alone merits a monthly fee unless given the option to party up with hundreds of people, but that's impossible. So I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree whenever mmo's are being discussed.

Raz
10-10-2006, 08:57 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I'm not quite sure as to what you meant by that. Are we looking at something like what Blizzard did with the Diablo? Or is this an mmorpg with a few quirks? I've played PSO for the Dreamcast, and from what I can remember, you could party up with about 6-8 people and go out to different zones or something, each to support a different level range. Kind of like FF11, I think. I, myself, don't think that alone merits a monthly fee unless given the option to party up with hundreds of people, but that's impossible. So I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree whenever mmo's are being discussed.</div>
</div>

I've never played diablo (online) so i can't comment on that. But the way it works is that it's MMO when you're not doing missions and it's not when you are. Then you're in team of six or less. So, missions are instance based.

You are right that in itself this gameplay method isn't enough for $10, but because of updates, battle system (this is important for me) overall experience, etc. I'm willing to pay it. At least at first. :)

My online gaming experience started with PSO. So when I first played WoW or FF11 they both seemed like games built on IRC channels rather than games. PSO has always been a real game. It looks like an RPG, it plays like an RPG and it doesn't feel like IRC in disguise.

wonder boy
10-10-2006, 02:05 PM
pso is 4 players

psu is 6

diablo 2 is 8 players

pso and psu both play similar to diablo and guildwars. Thing is though that diablo 2 offered free updates, bug fixes, and more importantly, updates to character balances and battle system which changes the way you play the game for free.

if your going to pay to play, you might as well play a MMORPG

delilahHD
10-10-2006, 04:39 PM
The subscription is too steep for my little budget... :snooty:

Ricker
10-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Delayed for a few days now,i guess by Friday,hopefully.

wonder boy
10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
i just read that the "updates" to the game is really just content thats unlocked on the disk.

good ol sega

:(

X Frog
10-10-2006, 11:01 PM
All the people complaining about the price crack me up. Don't pay for it. You can still play the game offline in 2 modes.

1. 40 hour single-player

2. Infinite leveling and dungeon crawling in Extra mode

This game is definitely worth $50 or $60.

And you can also play online free for a month. You can definitely get your moneys worth out of this game.

X Frog
10-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Well it never fails. I guess Sega did not have this beta certified with MS cause it is delayed slightly. Kind of a bummer. It'll probably hit this weekend when I am gone.

http://boards.sega.com/psu/viewtopic.php?t=19&amp;sid=b220daeb2d75af19930a0821162 5755a

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I regret to inform everyone that the Start Date for the Open Beta has been changed from Oct 11th to a 'very soon' date. We anticipate the release of the Demo to Marketplace will be in the coming days, but we do not have an official date at this point.

I want to apologize for the confusion this will cause, and request that posters distribute this info as much as they can. We will be updating our Announcements section with new information on the date as soon as we receive official confirmation.

Thanks!</div>
</div>

http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/news_beta.php (also changed from 11th to very soon)

Godly-Atheist
10-10-2006, 11:44 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">All the people complaining about the price crack me up.</div>
</div>

It's a 3rd person hack and slash with the inclusion of the option to party up with 6 players. Not only doesn't it merit the monthly fee, but the game itself should be sold for under $20 for redundancy on the 3rd person hack and slash part.

wonder boy
10-11-2006, 12:07 AM
i read it takes about 25 hours to beat offline.

wonder boy
10-11-2006, 01:48 PM
i also just read about the content being locked away is both on and offline.

this game just gets better and better.

X Frog
10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">UPDATE: After a delay to the beta release, the launch day has been pushed back to the weekend of October 14th, with the beta period still concluding on October 18th.</div>
</div>

http://www.pso-world.com/phantasy_star_universe_xbox_360_beta.php

Revan654
10-11-2006, 10:06 PM
We'll see if that will happen. Splinter Cell Double agent MP demo should have been out 2 weeks ago. Still nothin. Ubisoft did say it would be out before the release of the game.

surrealist
10-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Phantasy Star Universe JP PC, 10/11/06 Traveler's log screens (http://www.taleschannel.org/PSU/Retail/10-12/)

Raz
10-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Looks good as always... from a design standpoint of course. This isn't exactly next-gen, but, still gonna play that.

X Frog
10-14-2006, 02:56 AM
WOW!!! I am madly in love with this groovy game!!!

Sweet god does it play smooth. 60fps and displays in 720p. Absolutely pwns PSO!!!

woohoo!!!

This is damn fun I cannot quit playing!!!

It sucks at first until you learn the controls and party up with people so you can voicechat. (You can only voicechat in partys). It would have helped if sega had instructions posted for the game. Steep learning curve, but seriously...looking like one of the best games ever made.

I cannot believe this is just an uprezed PS2 game. This absolutely kills Enchanted Arms.

Now I am hoping they port FFXII &amp; Okami if they can get a PS2 game to look this good. Maybe it just because this is actually a PC port? PSU is also on PC.

wonder boy
10-14-2006, 02:44 PM
its 60 fps, with lots of slow down

it looks like a ps2 game

tons of disconnects

lots of lag

towns and lobbies are so big that their an inconvience, too bad the stages arnt as big

Godly-Atheist
10-14-2006, 05:52 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Sweet god does it play smooth. 60fps and displays in 720p. Absolutely pwns PSO!!!</div>
</div>

60 fps when you're standing around town doing nothing. Once you get to battling ONE OR TWO enemies it goes to shit. I didn't even think it was possible for a piece of hardware to suck this much, but clearly I've been mislead by my wondrous past with consoles of old.

PS3's 4D tech would have made this game a lot better.

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Looking like one of the best games ever made.</div>
</div>

Printed and framed.

X Frog
10-15-2006, 02:38 AM
I am getting sick of this crap about that framerate.

This game plays smooth as silk. Have you ever played PSO? It's framerate sucks compared to this.

I have played the game online for the last 2 days and have never had a disconnect either.

I don't see any massive frame drops. Hell, I don't see ANY framedrops. This frame rate absolutely kills most Xbox RPGs.

Enchant Arms, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Oblivion, Morrowind, PSO, all chopped and slowed down. I don't see that in PSU.

The vids I have seen for the PS2 version do chop more and do look much more jagged.

Final Fantasy XI looked like pure garbage compared to this.

Godly-Atheist
10-15-2006, 02:56 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I am getting sick of this crap about that framerate. This game plays smooth as silk.</div>
</div>
Have you ever played a game on a console before the 360? Seems to me like all of your life you've just been playing computer games on a low budget comp, because there is no way in hell a console gamer would just accept framerate problems the way you have.

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I have played the game online for the last 2 days and have never had a disconnect either.</div>
</div>
So everyone on every forum and every person I know who's played this game must be lying, right? Come on X Frog, lets be reasonable here.

X Frog
10-15-2006, 03:03 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Have you ever played a game on a console before the 360? Seems to me like all of your life you've just been playing computer games on a low budget comp, because there is no way in hell a console gamer would just accept framerate problems the way you have.

So everyone on every forum and every person I know who's played this game must be lying, right? Come on X Frog, lets be reasonable here.</div>
</div>
You are killing me.

It runs at 60fps. It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smoother than PSO.

It runs 2x the framerate of the PS2 version.

The framerate is better than 75% of this stuff on 360.

You make it sound like it is horrible and it is not.

You bash 100% of the games on this system. You hate anything 3rd person. You hate anything Japanese. You hate RPGs.

Get the fuck out of here.

Ricker
10-15-2006, 07:10 AM
I think some of you are confusing framerate problems with lag...PSU right now on the 360 Beta is a laggy mess most of the time which kinda breaks the whole teamwork aspect of it.Also the lobbies are way too big and confusing and i absolutly hate the shadow effect for the other characters that you see in the distance.

Besides that though,and hopefully the lag will be fixed when the full version arrives,the game will be very fun.

Godly-Atheist
10-15-2006, 07:36 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">It runs at 60fps.</div>
</div>

Do you even know what 60fps means?

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">It is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smoother than PSO. It runs 2x the framerate of the PS2 version.</div>
</div>

Now we're taking pot-shots at a last-gen console? Ouch...

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">The framerate is better than 75% of this stuff on 360.</div>
</div>

Actually, it's on par with every laggy 360 title. In other words, it's got the same frame rate problems that every other game has. With the exception of Oblivion, because that game just got it bad.

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">You make it sound like it is horrible and it is not.</div>
</div>

It all matters on how you define "horrible". If laggy battles are your thing, then by all means enjoy this game to it's fullest.

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">You bash 100% of the games on this system. You hate anything 3rd person. You hate anything Japanese. You hate RPGs.</div>
</div>

85%.

Considering the fact that the only game I enjoy as much as Halo (1 or 2) is any Splinter Cell game, you couldn't be more wrong.

When did I say that?

I do?

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Get the fuck out of here.</div>
</div>

Is this the famed "wrath of the nerds"? I'm kind of disappointed.

X Frog
10-15-2006, 10:26 AM
You obviously do not know what 30fps vs 60fps is Godly.

60fps looks smoother when you pan the camera. It's easier on the eyes. I bet you can't see the difference between 60fps of Project Gotham1 vs 30fps of PGR2 or PGR3. I've played many PS2 games that got 90+ ratings with horrible framerates. Games like Deus Ex Invisible war and KOTOR were plagued with 30fps and massive framedrops. This game does not have framedrops anywhere close to that. Even if the framerate dips, its nothing like you are pretending.

This is an online beta. Do you know how to configure your router? You claim every 360 game is laggy, maybe you need to check the settings on your router. Kinda amusing from the self-proclaimed PC king.

Anyways, you hate 360 and are not even a Phantasy Star player. Great impressions Godly. I really appreciate them. Now back to the regulary scheduled thread.

:laugh:

delilahHD
10-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Guys guys... calm down... to each his own opinion, gzzz. Listen, I have received some lag here and there but the so far it has been smooth as butter. I guess it all depends on how great your connection and the server connections are.

delilahHD
10-15-2006, 10:48 AM
Here are my impressions:

So far, I am impressed with it. After adding disks to my weapons (a Y attack) and going to the various worlds. I understand how deep it can go. I like the fact that you can change "universes" to join up with friends. Krazy Che3to and I shared cards so that I can track his progress and vice versa and locate him easily. You can invite people to you room which is customizable to a certain extent. It has a lot of depth. 100% times better than PSO, so, I like it. I think I am an addict already!

X Frog
10-15-2006, 11:17 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">It has a lot of depth. 100% times better than PSO, so, I like it. I think I am an addict already!</div>
</div>
Thanks for all the hours of fun today dblaze &amp; Krazy Che3to!!!

I am now officially addicted also.

I just hope that you can level your MAG and bring it into battle to perform photon blasts like in the original PSO.

I can't wait to play the single-player and extra mode also.

Raz
10-16-2006, 05:30 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I just hope that you can level your MAG and bring it into battle to perform photon blasts like in the original PSO.</div>
</div>

PM, not a MAG... :P but I guess that lingo will still work. But yeah, PM will eventually turn into a nice little loli-bot and then you can take it into battle as a regular fighter. No photon blasts though as far as I know. It might have a SUV technique, it is a cast after all.

Why did my XO had to brake just a week before a god damn PSU beta. Damn!

delilahHD
10-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Official Phantasy Star Universe Thread

Hopefully, I will... the $9.99 is still kind of steep for me to front. I don't know yet. Maybe after I finish the free month. But, man... this game (Phantasy Star Universe) is like crack!

Raz
10-16-2006, 11:19 AM
PSO/U does kinda get to you doesn't it. Old PSO fans still wonder why the hell they are playing this again? :think:

But yeah, I'm gonna get one, even though I didn't take part in the Beta. I've heard and seen only good things, even though slightly familiar.

KrAzy Che3To
10-16-2006, 01:43 PM
I am teh addicted. I have TWO characters already, one LVL 11, and another LVL 16. I have played a total of about 40 or so hours already.. I'm a crack addict.. I hated WoW.. but PSU is my calling. The boss fights are fixed too, and they're BAD ASS! By FAR the coolest things EVER to hit a gaming platform.. they're pretty hard too.. woot for PSU!

X Frog
10-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm really tempted to. But the fact that you can play and level infinitly offline in "Extra Mode" may sway me not to. Then I don't have to worry about losing my characters since they will be stored locally on my hard-drive.

I'll decide after playing online with the free month that is included in the game.

Either way, we have to play again tonight while the beta is still going!

wonder boy
10-16-2006, 06:08 PM
you people that are impressed with this, have you ever played diablo 2?

X Frog
10-16-2006, 10:00 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">you people that are impressed with this, have you ever played diablo 2?</div>
</div>
Of course! It's one of my fave games and I play it to this day.

I even fire up Diablo1 and rip through it every few years.

Kind of a stupid question. It's one of the highest selling PC games of all time.

Who has not played it?

McLean78
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Who has not played it?</div>
</div>
:shifty: Um.... me. :shhh:

And I have no excuse. I was even a huge Blizzard fan when I was really into PC gaming. Maybe the fact that I just didn't buy PC games (or any games) back then because I was broke in college.

Sorry, just felt like answering a rhetorical question. :P

Back on topic, are the single player missions supposed to play similar to how the mp missions play in this demo? I ask because I haven't had much time with it yet, but I'm pretty neutral on the gameplay so far.

delilahHD
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
It's ... It's over... nooooooO!

KrAzy Che3To
10-17-2006, 12:09 AM
I've been hearing mixed messages.. I'm totally lost. I have no idea, I can partially connect and then I've heard from others the characters are being deleted.. bleh no idea. I just want my PSU! I don't care, characters or not Beta or Full :P I just want it now! :P

Raz
10-17-2006, 12:24 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">McLean78 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Back on topic, are the single player missions supposed to play similar to how the mp missions play in this demo? I ask because I haven't had much time with it yet, but I'm pretty neutral on the gameplay so far.</div>
</div>

yeah, same battle engine, etc.

Conserning Diablo2... what does that have to do with anything? Just because there's been a game like this all those years ago on the PC doesn't mean that we should play it or not be impressed with things that come later on... personal preference and all. And of course technology.

X Frog
10-17-2006, 08:11 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">It's ... It's over... nooooooO!</div>
</div>
Yea, I stayed up an extra hour hoping to connect again. Sega said it was only down temporarily but I could never get back in. At one point I got to the character load screen and messaged Che3to, but then it just sat there at the load screen.

Ricker
10-17-2006, 08:30 AM
I sent a bug about the laggy servers...this killed a lot of the fun for me over the weekend...seeing people in the lobbies run 4 step,stop,start running 4 steps again and stop and so on just drives me nuts and i wont even talk about the lag in a 6 player mission...totally unplayable for me this way and i might just get the PC version if they can't fix that because i heard it doesnt do that on PC.

X Frog
10-17-2006, 10:18 AM
According to many on the SEGA forums, we can still play PSU All day Wednesday and possibly part of today if they get the Live servers back up. The beta officially ends 12:01am on the 19th.

Godly-Atheist
10-17-2006, 10:32 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">According to many on the SEGA forums, we can still play PSU All day Wednesday and possibly part of today if they get the Live servers back up. The beta officially ends 12:01am on the 19th.</div>
</div>

If true, is anyone up for meeting up and playing?

X Frog
10-17-2006, 10:43 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">If true, is anyone up for meeting up and playing?</div>
</div>
Sure, but I don't like six-player parties cause of the lag.

I know...you are gonna say...."Hah....I told ya so Frog".

:P

KrAzy Che3To
10-17-2006, 01:54 PM
I have never recieved lag in a 6-player party, the only time is with Delilah's voice which I think is her end for some odd reason, I've found that happened to a few other people I've played with too.. but overall the only lag I've seen is from monsters where there'll be a massive amount of lag for about 5 seconds, but nothing much more. Voice is fine, and I can live with the people's jerky running.. I run smooth so I don't care :P

delilahHD
10-17-2006, 02:00 PM
Is it true?.... God, tell me it's true!!! Please! ... I need it, I NEED IT!!!!

wonder boy
10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
i told you so

Godly-Atheist
10-17-2006, 04:26 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Sure, but I don't like six-player parties cause of the lag.

I know...you are gonna say...."Hah....I told ya so Frog".

:P</div>
</div>

I'll try to restrain myself, but I cant guarantee anything.

Ricker
10-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Beta extended till friday :bang: :clap:

X Frog
10-18-2006, 09:33 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Beta extended till friday :bang: :clap:</div>
</div>
I have not seen it officially confirmed for the US yet, but this is close...

http://boards.sega.com/psu/viewtopic.php?t=1070

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">According to the japan PSU official website's announcement, the open beta period has been extended until 10/21 15:59(Japan time). Since japan is sharing the same 360 PSU server with America and euro, which is also meaning that we can play until 10/21 as well~ Very Happy

http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/xbox360/

the link above is the link to the japan psu official website, even you don't understand japanese, but you should notice there is message in red obviously telling the period of the open beta are between 10/12 to 10/21.

also there is a sentence stating that the open beta char will not be transfered to the final product.</div>
</div>

X Frog
10-18-2006, 10:31 PM
The beta is running smooth as silk tonight. No lag whatsoever. Looks like Sega added more servers and made some more tweaks.

:clap:

surrealist
10-18-2006, 10:33 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">The beta is running smooth as silk tonight. No lag whatsoever. Looks like Sega added more servers and made some more tweaks.

:clap:</div>
</div>

That's because most people can't connect. You better enjoy it while you can.

X Frog
10-18-2006, 10:34 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">surrealist wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">That's because most people can't connect. you better enjoy it while you can.</div>
</div>
That's true. There are less people. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less people.

I finally hit level 10 so I can hit some cooler dungeons.

KrAzy Che3To
10-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Let me know when anyone wants to play, I'm free from before 4pm, and after 10pm every weekday. Free all weekends.

Godly-Atheist
10-19-2006, 01:05 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">KrAzy Che3To wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Let me know when anyone wants to play, I'm free from before 4pm, and after 10pm every weekday. Free all weekends.</div>
</div>

Depends on what level you are. I'm currently level 23, and I'm not looking to party up with someone who cant take level 30 boss fights. So, yeah, give me some info and if you'd like to hit me up my gamertag is Nexus904.

KrAzy Che3To
10-19-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm like.. 18 or something but I'm a mage-ish thing so I can handle damage and I can heal good :) I stopped playing after Xbox went crazy and knowing my character is going to be deleted I didn't want to put too much more time into it.

Godly-Atheist
10-19-2006, 01:18 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I'm like.. 18 or something but I'm a mage-ish thing so I can handle damage and I can heal good :) I stopped playing after Xbox went crazy and knowing my character is going to be deleted I didn't want to put too much more time into it.</div>
</div>

Alright, well if you want to meet up I'll be at on the 4th floor of that space station thing, by the mission entrance tunnel (universe 1). Just message my gamer tag if and when you're logging in.

delilahHD
10-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Well after a financial debate with myself, I have decided to get a Guardians lincense... the game has really got to me. I have decided to go wth $60 every 6 months. I hate monthly payments so it will also ease that hassle a bit. Which is like buying one 360 game every six months so, it shouldn't be that hard to front.

surrealist
10-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Well, I miss out on the beta for obvious reasons.. I'd like to at least try it before forking over the money. I guess my only choice is to go by the reviews on OTX. Everyone seems to like it except Godly-Atheist.

Godly-Atheist
10-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Paying for closed zone battles with no actual world exploration factor, bland looking cities, and an over all sense of last-gen tacked on seems a bit insane to me. Only chance they're getting the money out of my pocket is if it's $5 CND at launch.

As sad as this may sound, even Genji seems more of an mmo than PSU. Not to mention the immaturity displayed by all the children who actually populate the game...

X Frog
10-24-2006, 01:42 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">As sad as this may sound, even Genji seems more of an mmo than PSU. Not to mention the immaturity displayed by all the children who actually populate the game...</div>
</div>
When he says children, he means kids under his own age of 15.

:P

Godly-Atheist
10-24-2006, 01:54 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">When he says children, he means kids under his own age of 15.

:P</div>
</div>

You never cease to amaze, Frog.

surrealist
10-24-2006, 02:39 PM

surrealist
10-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Official Phantasy Star Universe Thread

Its out! so who has it?!

http://xbox360.gaming-universe.de/screens/boxart_us_phantasy-star-universe.jpg

delilahHD
10-25-2006, 12:15 AM
I will.. I will.. I will, stupid Ebgames called me today saying that my copy will be in Thursday! Bah, I am so frustrated... I don't know if I can wait that long

surrealist
10-25-2006, 12:20 AM
So tomorrow I'm going to check Wal-mart to see if they have it. I'll let you guys know if I find it there, though. I'll be so happy!

KrAzy Che3To
10-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Yeah I'll check tomorrow before I head in to work hopefully I'll find something.

chareece
10-25-2006, 08:06 AM
i'll have my copy monday

X Frog
10-25-2006, 07:04 PM
The Guardian's License is up on Live. It says $9.99 and not 800 points. I hope we can use market points instead of our credit-cards.

surrealist
10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I will.. I will.. I will, stupid Ebgames called me today saying that my copy will be in Thursday! Bah, I am so frustrated... I don't know if I can wait that long</div>
</div>
I called ebgames today and they said they had it.. drove 20 miles only to be told "we'll get it tomorrow" I said "I'm the guy that called on the phone" they said "no, tomorrow we'll have it tomorrow

http://xs308.xs.to/xs308/06420/headache.jpg

VintageTRUNKS
10-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Okay,

I haven't heard anything about this game but it obviously has everyone all riled up about it. So can someone fill me in on what this game is about?

surrealist
10-25-2006, 07:47 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">VintageTRUNKS wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Okay,

I haven't heard anything about this game but it obviously has everyone all riled up about it. So can someone fill me in on what this game is about?</div>
</div>
Phantasy Star Universe is the long-awaited followup to the original game, Phantasy Star Online, which that game itself is an MMORPG offshoot of the original Phantasy Star series on the Sega Genesis. Phew!

The main gameplay of the game is a lot different than most MMO's - you are meeting players and buying items and doodads in a main "hub" area (most usually a town), then grab a party, and go on missions together! (Which is exactly like PSO.) The real difference between this game and PSO is the engaging Craft System, the New Photon Art System, and the My Room features, which is a sort of personal room to decorate how you want it to, and players can visit it and hang out with you there.

Phantasy Star Universe on the 360 is unique from the PC and PS2 versions - it contains Widescreen functionality which is only available otherwise on a PC monitor that supports widescreen; and is rendered in 720p, if I'm not mistaken. The other noteworthy difference between the 360 version and the PC/PS2 versions is the 360 version was given a short Beta to allow Sega to gauge how bogged down their server can get.

The online portion of the game is unique as well: There are four races you can choose yourself to play as, and from what I hear in the chatter, you really shouldn't pick human.

They are:

- Humans (average race, good at everything, not best in anything)

- Casts (robot race, great at accuracy, sucky at magic)

- Newmans (elf-eared race, great at magic, sucky at attack/defense)

- Beasts (dog-eared race, great at attack/defense, sucky at accuracy)

It's interesting to note that Humans created ALL three races themselves. (Apparently Humans are smart, too.)

Classes breakdown is a lot easier than PSO, where once you chose your character they were a distinct race, distinct class, and distinct gender. No more! Customization can be done all down to the bushy hairs on your chinny chin chin. Classes break down like this:

- Ranger - Ranged support/damage class.

- Force (not THAT kind, magic we're talking here) - Damage dealer/Healer class

- Hunter - Melee/Tanker class. More melee, less tanker.

There are also "Expert Classes" which are basically double ups on your favorite class, or inter-class combinations with emphasis on one class's strengths and the second class's strengths as a backup. Then there is a jack of all trades class built just for humans.

VintageTRUNKS
10-25-2006, 07:52 PM
So, is this game going to be more of an online type of game where you do missions with your friends?

Is that what most people are going to do?

I am very new to this type of gaming. That is the reason I don't know much.

surrealist
10-25-2006, 08:03 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">VintageTRUNKS wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">So, is this game going to be more of an online type of game where you do missions with your friends?</div>
</div>
Yes, but is does have a offline story game.

<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Is that what most people are going to do?</div>
</div>
I figure most people will get it to play with friends online.
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I am very new to this type of gaming. That is the reason I don't know much.</div>
</div>
I never play a MMORPG seriously before.. I played Final fantasy online a bit on PS2.. that's about it.

delilahHD
10-25-2006, 08:47 PM
How do you get to the Guardian's License info?

X Frog
10-25-2006, 10:52 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">How do you get to the Guardian's License info?</div>
</div>
Go to All Game Downloads on the marketplace and find Phantasy Star Universe. It's 9.99 and you have to use your credit-card. There is no option for points which is lame. Why don't they let us use 800 points?

KrAzy Che3To
10-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Because they then can't get someone locked into the game, sort of like exercise clubs.. people keep paying and not even going to them. Same with MMOs.. that's how they make their big bucks.. I've been paying for WoW for the past few months and not even playing it much (like an hour a week IF that at all). Anyway, points would be nice, oh well.

Raz
10-26-2006, 05:18 AM
Podcast (http://zero9teen.podomatic.com/). These guys do their thing pretty well, I think.

surrealist
10-26-2006, 09:53 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Go to All Game Downloads on the marketplace and find Phantasy Star Universe. It's 9.99 and you have to use your credit-card. There is no option for points which is lame. Why don't they let us use 800 points?</div>
</div>
Why not $4.99 even? $10 a month a pretty steep for most gamers.. especially young gamers. but its not as bad as WOW though :confused:

X Frog
10-26-2006, 10:00 AM
I never received a Gamestop call for my pre-order and Best Buy still says it is not in stock. I have a feeling the game is not on shelves today either.

:(

I heard the PC version was screwed up in many areas. People would purchase it, open the box and find a game by some other company! I am sure that did not effect the entire PC shipment but it is still funny. A user made the manager of a store open every copy in the store and they were all the wrong game.

surrealist
10-26-2006, 10:02 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Podcast (http://zero9teen.podomatic.com/). These guys do their thing pretty well, I think.</div>
</div>
Thanks, i'll take a listen.

KrAzy Che3To
10-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Isn't FFXI like.. $13 or something a month?

Godly-Atheist
10-26-2006, 05:27 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Isn't FFXI like.. $13 or something a month?</div>
</div>

Yes, but that's because it's an mmo. Not an online rpg.

KrAzy Che3To
10-26-2006, 09:33 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Yes, but that's because it's an mmo. Not an online rpg.</div>
</div>
Eh.. *shrug* Still overpriced eitherway.. lol.

surrealist
10-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Got my copy today. I'm learning the controls by playing story mode. When ever you guys get on you know what to do.

Hit me up :dance:

X Frog
10-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Got my copy along with free soundtrack and the strategy guide. I will start the single-player campaign today.

X Frog
10-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Re: Official Phantasy Star Universe Thread

Really loving it so far. I am 3 1/2 hours in and just made it to chapter 3.

X Frog
10-30-2006, 12:04 AM

5.5 hours

Chapter 4

Level 12

delilahHD
10-30-2006, 12:25 AM

5.5 hours, Chapter 4, Level 17

X Frog
10-30-2006, 09:24 AM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">dblaze;62811 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">5.5 hours, Chapter 4, Level 17</div>
</div>
How did you get 5 levels over me? I got XP for every single monster in the game so far. I have not done any free missions though. Are you at the beginning of Chapter 4?

delilahHD
10-30-2006, 04:47 PM

Yep.. I did a few free missions

Raz
10-30-2006, 05:25 PM

Any impressions? Good, bad, f-ing brilliant? How's the general gameplay? Voice acting? Etc.

I still got to wait week for my copy. :snooty:

X Frog
10-31-2006, 12:23 AM

9 hours

Level 19

Chapter 4 cleared(This unlocks "Extra Mode")

PM - Level 6

Hunter - Level 2

Extra Mode is cool because it is just like PSO offline. You can create a custom character and explore all the maps you have unlocked. What is neat about Phantasy Star Universe is that you can actually invite NPCs that you unlock in single-player into your party to take on missions.

I really like the game, but it is too early to say if I like it better than Phantasy Star Online.

One really cool feature of this version is that you can actually change character classes instead of creating a new character.

surrealist
11-01-2006, 04:39 PM

When will the OTX clan meet up? I'm on the fence about buying license. I want someone to play with from here... chareece is game anyone else?

Raz
11-02-2006, 02:19 AM

I don't know if this matters, but I'm game in a month. :)

surrealist
11-02-2006, 09:41 AM

Great!

I'm looking at members tags here and adding people who have the game to my 360 buddy list..

KrAzy Che3To x has it and plays it the most here but wont add me for some reason. He asked me a weird question though. eyeup.gif

X Frog
11-02-2006, 10:50 AM

12 hours

Level 25

Stage 5 cleared (That world was awesome)

surrealist
11-02-2006, 11:27 AM

Can you play your offline character online?

X Frog
11-02-2006, 12:23 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">surrealist;63028 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Can you play your offline character online?</div>
</div>
No. Online uses server-side saves.

X Frog
11-03-2006, 12:09 AM

14.5 hours

Level 28

PM Level 13

Hunter Level 3

Cleared Act 6 (Finally traps like PSO)

X Frog
11-03-2006, 12:37 PM

17 Hours

Level 32

Hunter Level 3

PM Level 17

Cleared Act 7(Yes, there are vehicles that you can pilot like PS1-4)

surrealist
11-04-2006, 09:44 AM

I'm hearing a lot of people are having problems logging into Phantasy Star servers. Anyone here can't connect...or stay connected?

chareece
11-04-2006, 12:11 PM

i have yet to connect.

KrAzy Che3To
11-04-2006, 02:52 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">surrealist;63125 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I'm hearing a lot of people are having problems logging into Phantasy Star servers. Anyone here can't connect...or stay connected?</div>
</div>
It's been fine for me, if you can't connect click Disconnect and then Reconnect because Retry never works :P I've never had to disconnect more than once.. much better than the Beta :P

chareece
11-04-2006, 02:55 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">KrAzy Che3To;63140 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">It's been fine for me, if you can't connect click Disconnect and then Reconnect because Retry never works :P I've never had to disconnect more than once.. much better than the Beta :P</div>
</div>

tried this. doesn't work.

surrealist
11-04-2006, 03:11 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">chareece;63144 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">tried this. doesn't work.</div>
</div>
Haven't you already paid? and you cant connect WTF shakefist.gif

chareece
11-04-2006, 03:14 PM

yes i've already paid, but if this keeps up i wont be paying for long.

X Frog
11-06-2006, 09:26 AM

26 Hours

Level 47

PM Level 33 (After level 30 in sp, you can use your pm in battle)

Hunter Level 6

Chapter 10 cleared

X Frog
11-07-2006, 11:25 PM

30.5 Hours and Single-player is cleared!

Level 57

Level 8 Hunter

Level 39 PM

I enjoyed the single-player, but the last mission has tons of slowdown. I checked Extra mode and all the worlds and missions are unlocked, you just have to be high enough level to take them. There appeared to be about 7 or 8 partner cards that you can use to invite NPCs to your party.

At PM level 30 you can invite your PM to your party. I think this is actually level 80 online.

I really enjoyed it, but I am still not sure I like it more than PSO. I'd have to play extra mode for another 50 hours or so to decide.

delilahHD
11-07-2006, 11:27 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">chareece;63148 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">yes i've already paid, but if this keeps up i wont be paying for long.</div>
</div>
There is only one other thing that frustrates me more than this... :snooty:

surrealist
11-08-2006, 09:38 AM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">X Frog;63469 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I really enjoyed it, but I am still not sure I like it more than PSO. I'd have to play extra mode for another 50 hours or so to decide.</div>
</div>
I bought this to play online with you guys but it turns out there only a few people here who has it.. one of them can't connect, and it seems the others play offline.

This was a big waste of money for me... I should've listen to Godly-Atheist.

chareece
11-08-2006, 11:30 AM

i so love this game now that i've figured out how to setup my weapons the way i like them. i'm in chapter 5 right now and the story just picked up a little bit, but i think i need to level up ethan a little bit more.

surrealist
11-08-2006, 11:49 AM

Its a little too easy for me.. the story is like a big tutorial for the main online component.

X Frog
11-08-2006, 11:56 AM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">surrealist;63528 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Its a little too easy for me.. the story is like a big tutorial for the main online component.</div>
</div>
Yea, but play extra mode which is as hard or actually harder than online.

I'd wait until you are finished with story mode. You have what 200 points so far?

Everything that is locked in online mode is unlocked in Extra mode once you complete single-player. There are way more rare weapons and missions to do offline right now then there is online.

surrealist
11-08-2006, 12:05 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">X Frog;63530 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Yea, but play extra mode which is as hard or actually harder than online.

I'd wait until you are finished with story mode. You have what 200 points so far?</div>
</div>
I got rid of it this morning for GOW.. since no one here plays it online. which was the main reason I bought it for. I knew the story mode wouldn't be anything amazing.

X Frog
11-08-2006, 12:08 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">surrealist;63531 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I got rid of it this morning for GOW.. since no one here plays it online. which was the main reason I bought it for. I knew the story mode wouldn't be anything amazing.</div>
</div>
Hey everyone, he got rid of his copy. Let's start playing online tonight!!!

Just Kidding!

:D

I would play if sega accepted market points. I refuse to put my credit-card on Live. Did you know that if you purchased your Gold account with a credit-card, that you will never be allowed to revert to Silver? If you don't keep paying you will lose your gamertag. That is why I stick with market points, Gold cards, etc.

surrealist
11-08-2006, 12:15 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">X Frog;63532 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Hey everyone, he got rid of his copy. Let's start playing online tonight!!!

Just Kidding!

:D</div>
</div>
Go right ahead.. hurt my feelings :(
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I would play if sega accepted market points. I refuse to put my credit-card on Live. Did you know that if you purchased your Gold account with a credit-card, that you will never be allowed to revert to Silver? If you don't keep paying you will lose your gamertag.</div>
</div>
Really... gah, thats lame.
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">That is why I stick with market points, Gold cards, etc.</div>
</div>
Yep, I use Gold cards .

chareece
11-10-2006, 04:00 PM

i just saw the sexest and the creepiest moments in this game.

The sexest: in chapter 6 little Tonnio (sp?) went nanoblast. oh my god. i thought i was going to have turn on my fan.

The creepiest: Liina, who looks 12, is dating Tylor, who looks 30. can we say R. Kelly.

surrealist
05-10-2007, 04:47 PM

$10 Phantasy Star Universe (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G0JD9I) :eek:

Product Features (from Amazon)

-Three enormous planets to explore. A gigantic overworld and more than 20 enormous dungeons are featured.

-All-new ene mies to fight. Along with a brand-new roster of standard opponents, there are more than 15 major bosses to challenge.

-Player-controlled vehicles. Players no longer need to travel everywhere by foot, adding a new dimension to exploration.

-The best online Phantasy Star experience to date. Features a game world that will evolve with new content over the course of several years.

-Players: Single and Multi-player

McLean78
05-10-2007, 05:12 PM

Wow, that's cheap. Is PSU worth playing offline without subscribing?

surrealist
05-10-2007, 08:08 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">McLean78;79067 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Wow, that's cheap. Is PSU worth playing offline without subscribing?</div>
</div>
If your into Achievement's I think you can get them all in the single-player mode.

chareece
05-10-2007, 08:13 PM

single player is the only way to get the achievements in PSU.

surrealist
05-10-2007, 09:08 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">chareece;79078 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">single player is the only way to get the achievements in PSU.</div>
</div>
I stand corrected http://www.orpheusonline.com/blog/comment/smiley/love.gif

chareece
06-14-2007, 11:08 PM

anybody wanna do any PA runs with me? let me know and we can get together on it.

delilahHD
06-14-2007, 11:31 PM

Ok, turn around and slowly back away from the PSU.. lol, wow! I can't wait to jump back in with you guys! I miss internet!

chareece
06-14-2007, 11:50 PM

actually you need to tell the BF to stop. he plays more then i do.

KrAzy Che3To
10-11-2007, 03:18 PM

Anyone still play this? I know I still PAY for it.. but I have no one to play with.

chareece
10-11-2007, 03:21 PM

i still pay and play. we so need to get together. i want to be around 70 when the expansion comes out.

KrAzy Che3To
10-11-2007, 05:55 PM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">chareece;86733 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">i still pay and play. we so need to get together. i want to be around 70 when the expansion comes out.</div>
</div>
I think I'm like ... 60.. or something I haven't logged on in at least half a year+

chareece
10-11-2007, 07:24 PM

well we need to get together and play. but it'll have to be at night and on the weekend

chareece
10-19-2007, 03:00 PM

PSU and 1UP.com have a event going on right now. dont know all the details but i do know you can get 30 rappy feathers for doing missions and such.

surrealist
12-21-2007, 01:34 AM

Phantasy Star - happy 20th Anniversary!

http://www.imagepup.com/up/Ic8g_1198088654_phantasystarfront.jpg

http://www.imagepup.com/up/TQ5O_1198088692_phantasystarback.jpg

Phantasy Star was released in Japan on December 20th, 1987

for the Sega Mark III / Master System

http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/psc/psc2.html

KrAzy Che3To
12-21-2007, 02:11 PM

Cool. Who got the exp? It's amazing.. my guy is finally not ugly I turned him into a young guy now.. woohoo. New clothes are amazing, new pas, new weapons, amazing leveling.. levels.. new monsters.. well worth the money and time to level.

LEVELING IS EASIER THAN EVER GET ON PSU!! :)

chareece
12-27-2007, 10:08 AM

i should be getting the expansion sometime next week. glad to hear good things about it.

KrAzy Che3To
05-23-2008, 02:47 PM

Canceling PSU Next week

Anyone want my meseta/items?

chareece
05-24-2008, 01:41 PM

sure send them my way.

KrAzy Che3To
06-23-2008, 06:11 AM

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">chareece;93695 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">sure send them my way.</div>
</div>

Ok, my billing is renewed at the end of this month.. which it's not going to be. If you'd like any of the stuff let me know (hit me up with a message OTX when you see me on)