PDA

View Full Version : The Official LOTR: Middle-earth II thread.

surrealist
07-06-2006, 09:04 PM
http://www.ebgames.com/common/images/lbox/200156b.jpg

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/079/reviews/931424_20060321_screen001.jpg http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/079/reviews/931424_20060321_screen004.jpg http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2006/079/reviews/931424_20060321_screen003.jpg

http://xbox360.gaming-universe.de//screengalerie/7524.jpg

http://xbox360.gaming-universe.de//screengalerie/7523.jpg

http://xbox360.gaming-universe.de//screengalerie/7522.jpg

surrealist
07-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Here is a new Interview with Louis Castle about the game:

http://www.360next.de/index.php?cat=2&id=HdRSuMIIITWEngl

There are also new screenshots directly from the Xbox 360 version.
<hr class="bbcode_rule" />

Team Xbox Just Posted Their Review

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1190/The-Lord-of-the-Rings-The-Battle-for-MiddleEarth-II/p1/

surrealist
07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
The latest majornelson podcast mentions a LotR2 demo for 360. but after the Prey fiasco there is no way we will hear a release date until it is actually up on the marketplace.

surrealist
07-06-2006, 09:10 PM
A RTS on a console? An RTS on a console can't work. No way. NOPE. Not gonn...what? What's that? There's an RTS on a console that's good? And the controls work? Well...at least IGN thinks so. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/716/716469p1.html)

<div class="bbcode_quote">
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">The control scheme is primarily based on the Xbox 360's triggers, with minimal usage of face buttons and bumpers. By pulling and holding a trigger, a sleek HUD appears on the lower left-hand side of the screen in the form of a Palantir. Naturally, during the final battle versus Sauron and Sauramon using the Palatir was an unwise thing to do, but here it serves as symbol, an icon, from which to do your business, untainted by Sauron's flaming eye. With it open, you can command a bookmarking section and access builders, heroes, and the powers menu. The on-field command system is sleek looking and relatively efficient. You can command single units, the full army, and unit types such as all archers or all cavalry. Or you can split them into teams and bookmark them, and using a central cursor, move across the entire map with relative ease. You can control the whole army by double tapping the A button, or you can control just the units on screen by using the left trigger and double tapping on a nearby unit. The good thing about the controls is that they're built for console players. They feel like they should. Nearly every action is one to three steps away, with face buttons and even bumper buttons coming into play with relative ease. EA's sharp innovation and risk pays off, for the most part. These controls don't feel forced or half-assed, and you'll pick up the whole thing in a matter of five or 10 minutes.</div>
</div>

They give the game an 8.2.

Props to EA to taking this risk. I've yet to check this out myself but I've heard from quite a few people the control scheme works...and works well.

surrealist
07-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Before I drop $64 ($59 + tax), I want to know how it plays. Details would be nice.

Waiting for X frog impression.

X Frog
07-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Lord of the Rings – Battle For Middle Earth II (Initial Impressions)

I picked up the game and the pre-order bonus code over lunch hour. When I got home I tried using the code for bonus maps but it did not work. So I decided to do both tutorials. After that I started the single-player campaign and after completing the first level, I decided to try the code again since I had a save on my hard-drive. The code worked and it automatically download Multiplayer map-pack1. So remember, if you got the free code to use it after you complete level1 and have a save on your hard-drive.

The controls seemed kinda loose at first. But after about three hours of gameplay I really like them. You use the A button and your left trigger, left bumper, and right bumper to select a either all troops in the area, single group, or all groups of a similar character class. If you hold the right trigger options appear on the Palintir(map in lower left corner of screen). The options are for Bookmarks(allows you to custom macro groups of soldiers), Heroes(you can select Arwen, Gandalf etc.), and Powers(you can purchase spells).

I only played through the two tutorials and levels 1&amp;2. I ended up only unlocking 2 achievements. You have to complete all secondary objectives to get an achievement for each level. So I did not get the achievement for level 2.

There are options for gameplay, controls, and display settings. You can play single-player(Good or Evil), Multiplayer over Live(possibly LAN), and there is one other mode called “Skirmish”.

Pros…

-Best RTS controls for a console ever. Dethroning previous king Goblin Commander. I am referring to traditional PC-style and not your Kessen/Kingdom Under Fire type of RTS.

-Killer LOTR locations, characters, and Howard Shore music

-Multiplayer over Live

Cons…

-pixilated shadows

-unstable framerate

-does not look as good as the PC version

Looking like a soid 8 to me. We shall see after a few weeks of offline/online play!!!

:)

surrealist
07-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Thanks man!

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/images/smilies/rock.gif

McLean78
07-07-2006, 01:07 PM
This interview is a couple weeks old, but I just watched it and it's good. Made me slightly more interested in the game, I think.

http://www.on10.net/Blogs/TheShow/3663/

surrealist
07-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Are you planning on getting Middle-earth II, McLean78?

McLean78
07-07-2006, 01:18 PM
I don't know. I wasn't originally, but now this and Chromehounds are both looking pretty good. But I'm already getting Prey and Xyanide this month, so I don't know if I'll have time for another game. Especially if Lumines Live or anything comes out.

So many games, so little time. :D

surrealist
07-07-2006, 01:19 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Wick98 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Got it today!</div>
</div>
Awesome!!!

report back after playing ;)

surrealist
07-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Quick question on game play. Do you have to gather resources in this game? What resources are there, and how are they gathered. I just read a review and it mentioned base building, which I thought was not really a part of BFME.

Godly-Atheist
07-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Just finished one of the scenarios and here's what I thought of the game. Controls were perfect, spot on. EA did something right for a change. Though it's too bad that game ******* sucked, literally. I'm sorry for being so up front about it but it's worth saying so you might think of renting before buying. Even if they kept true to the movie it would have still failed... Everything was so generic, deaths, slashes, and shooting arrows never differed in animation.. Ugh.. You'd have to watch a video of it to see what I mean, simple words cant describe it. Just think of this game as the most basic strategy game on the planet. Loved the controls though, gratz on a job well done EA. Well at least for the most part.

<div class="bbcode_quote_head">surrealist wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Quick question on game play. Do you have to gather resources in this game? What resources are there, and how are they gathered. I just read a review and it mentioned base building, which I thought was not really a part of BFME.</div>
</div>

You do gather resources, you basically build buildings that earn you cash to buy and upgrade your current units and buildings. There is base building (thank god), and it's basically just like any other strat game. Anything else you'd like to know?

Edit: Lag plagues the game in the early missions. Not constantly, but it's there. And there have been a few times where the sound of battle has completely cut off because too much was going on. Kind of sucked since those were the best battles. =/ Oh, and load times. They're my favorite issue. If you make a mistake and want to load back to your last save be prepared to wait for a hefty minute or 2, I'm serious.

X Frog
07-09-2006, 10:49 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">Godly-Atheist wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">f you make a mistake and want to load back to your last save be prepared to wait for a hefty minute or 2, I'm serious.</div>
</div>
Loads are nowhere near a minute. They are 10 - 20 seconds at most. And they only occur at the beginning of a level which you will likely spend one or two hours playing.

Seriously, count to 10...

one one thousand

two one thousand

three one thousand

I am on level seven of the good campaign and I think the game is awesome.

Godly-Atheist
07-10-2006, 06:00 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">X Frog wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Loads are nowhere near a minute. They are 10 - 20 seconds at most. And they only occur at the beginning of a level which you will likely spend one or two hours playing.

Seriously, count to 10...

one one thousand

two one thousand

three one thousand

I am on level seven of the good campaign and I think the game is awesome.</div>
</div>

If you load back it takes you through 3 loading different loading screens, each of which last for about 20 slow seconds. Oh and by the way, have you ever played a strategy game before? I'm only asking because my judgment is based off of experience.

X Frog
07-10-2006, 11:49 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">If you load back it takes you through 3 loading different loading screens, each of which last for about 20 slow seconds. Oh and by the way, have you ever played a strategy game before? I'm only asking because my judgment is based off of experience.</div>
</div>
Yes, I have played tons of turn-based and RTS games since Dune hit PC in the early 90s. This game is great for a console game. The reviews at gamerankings show this. It's a solid 8 and does not suck. Now does it blow away all the RTS on PC? Hell no. I clearly stated that in my impressions above. Nobody has said that in any review.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/931424.asp

Godly-Atheist
07-10-2006, 09:03 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Yes, I have played tons of turn-based and RTS games since Dune hit PC in the early 90s. This game is great for a console game. The reviews at gamerankings show this. It's a solid 8 and does not suck. Now does it blow away all the RTS on PC? Hell no. I clearly stated that in my impressions above. Nobody has said that in any review.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/931424.asp</div>
</div>

You're telling me the only reason you're sticking up for this game is because it's ranked on a website? I don't even know how to reply to that.

The only thing I found fun in the entire game was the wall building.

McLean78
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">You're telling me the only reason you're sticking up for this game is because it's ranked on a website? I don't even know how to reply to that.</div>
</div>
That's not what he said at all.

surrealist
07-10-2006, 10:30 PM
I like to hear more about this lag and slowdown? is it really bad?

X Frog
07-11-2006, 08:04 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">You're telling me the only reason you're sticking up for this game is because it's ranked on a website? I don't even know how to reply to that.

The only thing I found fun in the entire game was the wall building.</div>
</div>
Don't reply to it. I like the game and so do many others. Get over it.

Ricker
07-11-2006, 09:32 AM
I rented this game just for the hell of it,because i suck and hate RTS's generally,and this game will probably not change my mind about that... i got stuck on the tutorial at the part where the guy tells you how to build walls...I missed the explanation and couldn't figure out how to do it afterwards so i had to quit... it looks great in HD though and all so i might stick with it a little longer...

There's a lot of choppiness in the tutorial anyway so it's a little annoying when you are trying to figure something out and it doesn't work just because you pressed A but there's a delay in accepting the command... overall though i think they did a great job converting the controls to a gamepad so far... i finished the basic tutorial for now and i will try the advanced one later... for now i have a headache ;)

Godly-Atheist
07-11-2006, 02:34 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">McLean78 wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">That's not what he said at all.</div>
</div>

Aside from pointing out that this strategy game is great for the 360, that is exactly what he said.

@ X-frog,

I was judging the game off of my experience with other strategy games, and in my opinion this game failed to surpass any other that came before it. On a side note though, I just got to playing a few online versus matches and it's surprisingly enjoyable. I might of got hooked to the game for that very fact had it not been for the lack of a good multiplayer interface, mature hosts, and an all around sense of loss due to the fact that everything's running off the EA servers.

X Frog
07-11-2006, 02:39 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Aside from pointing out that this strategy game is great for the 360, that is exactly what he said.

@ X-frog,

I was judging the game off of my experience with other strategy games, and in my opinion this game failed to surpass any other that came before it. On a side note though, I just got to playing a few online versus matches and it's surprisingly enjoyable. I might of got hooked to the game for that very fact had it not been for the lack of a good multiplayer interface, mature hosts, and an all around sense of loss due to the fact that everything's running off the EA servers.</div>
</div>
I have not even tried it online yet. I just finished the "Good Campaign" last night. After finishing Evil, then I'll try it out.

Tonight I would like to test the bookmarking system and way-points. I have not successfully used either yet. I hear they make the game much more fun.

I loved how the Balrog showed up in the the 8th and final level of the Good Campaign.

surrealist
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Could we make a LOTR: Battle for MIddle Earth 2 OTX league?

I'm thinking seriously about picking this up.

Godly-Atheist
07-11-2006, 02:56 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I have not even tried it online yet. I just finished the "Good Campaign" last night. After finishing Evil, then I'll try it out.

Tonight I would like to test the bookmarking system and way-points. I have not successfully used either yet. I hear they make the game much more fun.

I loved how the Balrog showed up in the the 8th and final level of the Good Campaign.</div>
</div>

online&gt;single player.

How could you play the game without bookmarking? Don't you get frustrated whenever your siege weapons kill your men because they're trigger happy?

Evil campaign lets you summon some amazing ****, good campaign lets you summon a drunk dwarf who sings and dances whilst wreaking havoc on nearby units and buildings. 'nuff said.

surrealist
07-13-2006, 11:52 PM
I just beat the Middle-earth II demo. ha haha, i like it :)

Godly-Atheist
07-14-2006, 02:17 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I just beat the Middle-earth II demo. ha haha, i like it :)</div>
</div>

I'm curious to know what they put on the demo from the single player. Or is it online only?

surrealist
07-14-2006, 02:21 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I'm curious to know what they put on the demo from the single player. Or is it online only?</div>
</div>
Both. ;)

surrealist
07-15-2006, 09:46 PM
People are getting really good at the demo... I beat my first match online when I first downloaded it.. but now before I can even get my first barrack or goblin cave up and running my opponent already has a horde of enemies marching across the battlefield..

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif

X Frog
07-15-2006, 09:52 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">People are getting really good at the demo... I beat my first match online when I first downloaded it.. but now before I can even get my first barrack or goblin cave up and running my opponent already has a horde of enemies marching across the battlefield..

http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif</div>
</div>
I have not even got online yet, and when I do I'll probably get crushed.

:laugh:

surrealist
07-15-2006, 10:36 PM
I think the best way to play online is with someone you know... like if you and I play together we could really have a huge war!!

also..people on the demo will drop out. I hope with the real game they get punish.

aurrun
07-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Some people cant stand a 2-3 hour game ;)

surrealist
07-16-2006, 02:11 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">metalsux wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Some people cant stand a 2-3 hour game ;)</div>
</div>
Yeah, some matches can last even longer!

But you get your money worth if you're a RTS fan.

surrealist
07-16-2006, 02:15 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I have not even got online yet, and when I do I'll probably get crushed.

:laugh:</div>
</div>
I wonder what all is missing from the demo...

aurrun
07-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Its on my next rent list. I'll probably send in BF2 before chromehounds. Whenever I finish the damn campaign which pisses me off because my allies are horrible.

surrealist
07-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Are you sure Middle-earth II is something you would want to rent?

aurrun
07-16-2006, 02:43 PM
ya :). I just wish C&amp;C was on the 360 :(.

surrealist
07-16-2006, 03:34 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">ya :). I just wish C&amp;C was on the 360 :(.</div>
</div>
Have you tried the demo though? what do you think?

aurrun
07-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Ive tried it and liked it. Was thinking about writing a review but i'll wait until I get the game. Did you play the campaign in BF2? Its a bitch right?

aurrun
07-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Ok battlefield 2 pissed me off too far today, its going back in the mail tomarrow.

surrealist
07-16-2006, 05:57 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Ive tried it and liked it. Was thinking about writing a review but i'll wait until I get the game. Did you play the campaign in BF2? Its a bitch right?</div>
</div>
Every game on my gamercard I've beaten.

Yes, BF2 is a tough.

Godly-Atheist
07-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Don't know why I didn't post this before, it was so clearly destroying the game play. So I'll just go ahead and post it now.

Online isn't playable. Once you get an army all set up and are hyped on watching a huge war your hit with the fact that the 360 only has 512 megs of ram. It lags to a halt, making any strategic options obsolete, and therefore, this game is only intended for pc gamers and pc gamers only. The Xbox 780 will probably have 1024 megs of ram in about 5 years and that's already last gen in pc standards.

McLean78
07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
Wow, that sucks. Even with only 4 people it lags?

Um, I know this wasn't the point of your post, but is there a reason you picked memory as the cause of online lag?

surrealist
07-17-2006, 03:04 PM
ahhhhh.... its not that bad WTF?!

Godly-Atheist
07-17-2006, 09:41 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Wow, that sucks. Even with only 4 people it lags?

Um, I know this wasn't the point of your post, but is there a reason you picked memory as the cause of online lag?</div>
</div>

It's not just online, in skirmish if you get 4 bots vs you and you all have your max number of units it lags out of control. That's why I picked on the fact that the 360 has 512 megs of ram.

McLean78
07-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Okay. It looked like you were referring to online specifically.

Still, that sounds more like an issue of CPU power trying to handle the movements and interactions of all the units. I don't think the 360 can even use virtual memory because it doesn't have a built-in HDD, so if it runs out of ram, it's just gonna die rather than slow down.

Plus, the PC version only requires 512 megs, and that's running the resource-hogging XP.

Godly-Atheist
07-17-2006, 10:21 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Okay. It looked like you were referring to online specifically.

Still, that sounds more like an issue of CPU power trying to handle the movements and interactions of all the units. I don't think the 360 can even use virtual memory because it doesn't have a built-in HDD, so if it runs out of ram, it's just gonna die rather than slow down.

Plus, the PC version only requires 512 megs, and that's running the resource-hogging XP.</div>
</div>

Culprit Identified. =/ I was told by someone that ram was the cause. Don't really know much when it comes to pc's. That's besides the point though. So people should really heed my warning before running out and buying this game.

surrealist
07-17-2006, 10:40 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Plus, the PC version only requires 512 megs, and that's running the resource-hogging XP.</div>
</div>
True.

512 megs of ram in a videogame console is equivalent to 1gig in a PC.

X Frog
07-17-2006, 10:54 PM
I'm on level six of the Evil campaign.

surrealist
07-17-2006, 11:02 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I'm on level six of the Evil campaign.</div>
</div>
Why are you playing evil? thats not like you..

X Frog
07-17-2006, 11:04 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Why are you playing evil? thats not like you..</div>
</div>
Cause I beat the good campaign already. That is only half the game. I always like to play both sides if I have the time. In this game, the levels are completly different for good &amp; bad. It's not just the same level and you play the other side.

surrealist
07-17-2006, 11:09 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Cause I beat the good campaign already. That is only half the game. I always like to play both sides if I have the time. In this game, the levels are completly different for good &amp; bad. It's not just the same level and you play the other side.</div>
</div>
Are you putting a lot of time in it? how many hours have you log in so far?

X Frog
07-17-2006, 11:16 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Are you putting a lot of time in it? how many hours have you log in so far?</div>
</div>
I am guessing the game takes about 15 hours to beat if you try to do secondary goals to get the level achievments. With 16 levels, it seems average length for a RTS.

surrealist
07-17-2006, 11:18 PM
yeah, I'm sure you're more than enough prepared for online battles.

X Frog
07-18-2006, 10:43 PM
I am now on the final level of the Evil campaign.

I am guessing it will actually have taken me 20 hours to complete the game. I had to redo a few missions to get the achievements. I wonder if all the powers you purchase are unlocked in multiplayer? If so, that is more of a reason to play the skirmish or single player more to earn points so you can purchase more spells.

surrealist
07-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Should I wait 'til the 15th and get Ninety-Nine Nights?

I want a strategy game.

Godly-Atheist
07-19-2006, 12:07 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I am now on the final level of the Evil campaign.

I am guessing it will actually have taken me 20 hours to complete the game. I had to redo a few missions to get the achievements. I wonder if all the powers you purchase are unlocked in multiplayer? If so, that is more of a reason to play the skirmish or single player more to earn points so you can purchase more spells.</div>
</div>

You have to earn those points online just as you would in the single player, and nothing is unlocked forever. Each game you go in you have to do it all over again and each race will have their very own selection.

Edit: You won't be prepared for online battles until you go through a few of them. All the knowledge you gained from the single player was useless aside from the controls. Kind of like every other game with they're single player and multiplayer.

X Frog
07-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Beat the evil campaign tonight. The stuff you can summon on the evil side rocks.

surrealist
07-20-2006, 12:07 AM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Beat the evil campaign tonight. The stuff you can summon on the evil side rocks.</div>
</div>
I guess you'll be playing online now ;)

surrealist
07-20-2006, 04:26 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">Should I wait 'til the 15th and get Ninety-Nine Nights?

I want a strategy game.</div>
</div>
:whistle:

McLean78
07-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I thought most people were saying Ninety-Nine Nights doesn't have much strategy.

surrealist
07-20-2006, 04:40 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">I thought most people were saying Ninety-Nine Nights doesn't have much strategy.</div>
</div>
If its anything like Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders why wouldn't Ninety-Nine Nights have strategy?

Godly-Atheist
07-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Surrealist, if you're going to only be able to buy one of the two I'd have to tell you to go with BFME. Though be prepared to constantly rush or be rushed online. I hope you weren't thinking on long lasting battles in which you summoned everything at your disposal and had max unit count on both sides. lol

It's just like every other strategy game online.

McLean78
07-20-2006, 04:52 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">If its anything like Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders why wouldn't have strategy?</div>
</div>
Well that's the "if". I keep hearing it's like KUF but without the strategy. :P Or at least without much strategy, but there is a little.

I think the strategy is limited to choosing 1 or 2 unit types to include in your army, and then I think you can issue 2 different commands during battle ("attack" or "hold" or something). And even that doesn't matter much because they don't do much when they fight. They mainly let you do all the work.

I haven't played it yet, but I'm just saying, I've read a lot of impressions from the Japanese and Asian versions and I haven't seen one person say that there's a meaningful amount of strategy.

aurrun
07-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Should have this game in 3 or 4 days, maybe Monday.

aurrun
07-25-2006, 03:52 PM
This game is horrible with more than 2 troops on the screen. The framerate bogs down and the shadows are pixelated like hell.

BLS BOB
07-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Yea i got that impression from the demo

chareece
07-26-2006, 08:46 PM
for those of you that didn't know, EA confirmed an expanison for this game called The Rise of the Witch-King. more details will be announce later in the week

surrealist
07-27-2006, 10:04 PM
<div class="bbcode_quote_head">chareece wrote:</div>
<div class="bbcode_quote_body">for those of you that didn't know, EA confirmed an expanison for this game called The Rise of the Witch-King. more details will be announce later in the week</div>
</div>
Any chance of tweaks to the framerate?